NicoleeK

NicoleeK

This is where I talk mostly about Young Adult and New Adult books. Thanks for checking out my reviews :)

SPOILER ALERT!

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver Review

Before I Fall - Lauren Oliver

Goodreads Synopsis: For popular high school senior Samantha Kingston, February 12—"Cupid Day"—should be one big party, a day of valentines and roses and the privileges that come with being at the top of the social pyramid. And it is…until she dies in a terrible accident that night.

However, she still wakes up the next morning. In fact, Sam lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she ever imagined.

Review:

I admit that the movie trailer made me interested in reading this book. I liked how even though she was living the same day over and over again it wasn’t too repetitive and it was interesting to see what would change in each version of that day.

Anytime I read a YA book set in high school there is always this hierarchy with popular mean girls and jocks at the top. Are all American high schools really like this? The abuse that Sam and her friends put Juliet through was truly awful. However, this story not only portrayed the negative impact bully’s actions can have on their victims but we also got an insight into the motivations of the bully’s and even feel sympathetic towards them.

I really loved Kent and I wanted Sam to be with him. He knew deep down she was still the girl he was friends with all those years ago. That no matter how mean she could be it wasn’t who she really was. I felt they didn’t get enough time though. Sam may have spent a few versions of that day with Kent but for him he only got a very little amount of time with the girl he’s been in love with for years…the poor guy.

I couldn’t stop thinking about this story when I had finished it. I was left wondering what happened to Juliet, Kent, and her friends? How were they effected by her death. Did her friends go back to behaving they way they always did or did they wake up to how they were treating people and decide to change? I’ll admit I wanted to see the fairytale ending of this story where Sam redeemed herself and wakes up on February 13th, lives happily ever after with Kent, and Sam and her friends no longer strike fear into those around them. Although I knew how it would end I kept hoping I would be wrong.

I really enjoyed this story more than I thought I would and I can't wait to see the movie!