NicoleeK

NicoleeK

This is where I talk mostly about Young Adult and New Adult books. Thanks for checking out my reviews :)

Ex-Factor by Elisa Dane Review

Ex-Factor (Diamond Girls) - Elisa Dane

Goodreads Synopsis:

Nevaeh Evan’s life is uprooted after her father’s death, when she moves in with her aunt and cousin, Livvie. Her plan to lay low at her new high school isn’t working. Her friend’s jerky boyfriend keeps asking her out, the guy she likes treats her like garbage, and the thought of tumbling again makes her want to hurl.

So when her aunt pushes her into joining the elite X-FACTOR cheer leading squad, Navaeh goes along with it.

But Nev feels she doesn’t deserve to be happy. Not after what happened the night her father died.

Bodie Scott knows about grief all too well. Critically injured in an alcohol related accident the year before, Bodie struggles with the fact that he’ll never play football again, and he’s so far behind in credits he can’t see straight. That is, until he meets Nev. Haunted by their bloody pasts and wary of a shared future, Nev and Bodie turn to one another for comfort and support, and realize they’re not so alone after all. And when the party scene at school threatens the life of a loved one, the two stop at nothing to keep the past from repeating itself.

Review:

I thought I was going to like this book way more than I actually did. As someone who isn’t familiar with competitive cheerleading I was intrigued by the premise of the book.

In this story we’re introduced to Nev, she just moved in with her aunt and cousin as her dad had passed away. Nev blames herself for her fathers death and is carrying around a dark secret.

I’m used to reading about troubled characters who blame themselves for some accident that happened, However what irritated me about Nev’s character is how in every chapter she mentioned how she couldn’t allow herself to be happy because of what happened to her dad. I understand her grieving and feeling guilty but that doesn’t mean that just because he’s gone she has to limit her life so much.

I know this story is bringing awareness to the dangers of drink driving but I feel the author went a bit overboard. It’s one thing having our two main characters being affected by this but did everyone in this story need to either drive drunk or know someone who was killed by a drunk driver?

I gave this book 3 stars as I felt the story had a lot of potential but there were aspects that let it down for me. I did enjoy reading about Nev and Bodies relationship as well as the friendship and dedication the diamond girls had. I am going to continue with the series as I’m looking forward to reading Livvie’s story.