NicoleeK

NicoleeK

This is where I talk mostly about Young Adult and New Adult books. Thanks for checking out my reviews :)

What I Thought Was True by Huntley Fitzpatrick

What I Thought Was True - Huntley Fitzpatrick

Goodreads Synopsis:

From the acclaimed author of My Life Next Door comes a swoony summertime romance full of expectation and regret, humor and hard questions.

Gwen Castle has never so badly wanted to say good-bye to her island home till now: the summer her Biggest Mistake Ever, Cassidy Somers, takes a job there as the local yard boy. He's a rich kid from across the bridge in Stony Bay, and she hails from a family of fishermen and housecleaners who keep the island's summer people happy. Gwen worries a life of cleaning houses will be her fate too, but just when it looks like she'll never escape her past—or the island—Gwen's dad gives her some shocking advice. Sparks fly and secret histories unspool as Gwen spends a gorgeous, restless summer struggling to resolve what she thought was true—about the place she lives, the people she loves, and even herself—with what really is.

Review:

I loved My Life Next Door and was excited to read another book by Huntley Fitzpatrick, however I was quite disappointed.

I was expecting this to be just as enjoyable and full of drama as Huntley's first book but what I found was that it was actually quite boring. Throughout the book nothing major happens. There are little things thrown in there to keep you reading in the hope it will lead up to something big, but it didn't. The storylines never develop into anything but just fizzle out.

This book wasn't terrible it just wasn't very exciting. Here we have a poor girl and a rich guy and the cliche'd storyline of said girl not being accepted by the rich boys family wasn't even touched on. All the drama or problems that arised just worked out, there were no big altercations or dramatic scenes which is needed to keep the story interesting.

This would be a nice summer read if you're looking for something to pass the time or want a bit of light reading. Although I didn't love this book, I am still interested in reading Huntley Fitzpatrick's new book The Boy Most Likely To as I'm hoping it will resemble My Life Next Door.