NicoleeK

NicoleeK

This is where I talk mostly about Young Adult and New Adult books. Thanks for checking out my reviews :)

Red At Night by Katie McGarry Review

Red at Night - Katie McGarry

Goodreads Synopsis:

In Red at Night, Stella and Jonah are total opposites. She's the girl with purple hair from the wrong part of town. He's a high school senior who hangs with the cool crowd. Until a car accident leaves him haunted by guilt, and Jonah starts spending time at Stella's favorite refuge…the local cemetery.

Stella knows she should keep her distance—after all, she spent her girlhood being bullied by Jonah's friends. Once he's sorted out his tangled emotions, Jonah won't have
time for her anymore. Too bad she's already fallen for him.

Review:

Let me just start off by saying that I thought I wouldn't be able to get this book anywhere and then I find it on iBooks of all places! Anyway, back to the review....

I really enjoyed this novella, surprisingly it's the first I've ever read! I found it quite heart breaking that Stella thought because of her home situation she couldn't go to college, that even though she's a good student and person she couldn't have a promising future because of where she comes from. This novella really had me grasping for more! I want to know more about Jonah and Stella's pasts and want to see how their relationship pans out, there's just so many unanswered questions...

I felt this story had a lot of room for expansion and could have been a full length book. The pacing was quite fast as the author was trying to warp up the story in a satisfying way in a short period of time. I do think the story could have been better if it had been a book as we would have gotten to know not only the main characters more but the secondary characters as well. I know Katie McGarry was asked to write it to highlight what the Goodie Two Shoes Foundation does but why a novella and not a book?

I still really enjoyed it as I love anything Katie McGarry writes and I would definitely recommend it as it's a quick, easy read :)